Thursday, January 22, 2009

Friday, I hit the gym by myself.  I didn't expect to get a chance to workout again over the weekend so I really did my best to hit it hard.  I did all the lifting I would normally do and then some.  I finished the night up with a half hour on the elliptical.  My foot was still hurting, so I figured the break would be good.

I got in later than I was hoping Monday evening and I nearly elected to forget about my long run.  I had just gotten my new heart monitor in the mail and I thought I had better at least give it a try.   About 4 miles into it, I was cold, sweaty and thinking that cutting it short wasn't a bad idea.  The next mile or so I realized that the only person that I would be cheating is myself, and the last thing I want to do is be less prepared come late March than I am now.

I pushed past my first 5 mile loop, then my second.  I had planned to call it a night by the end of this, but as the evening went on the temperature seemed to warm and I couldn't justify getting that far and not seeing how I would feel at a half marathon.  

As I walked the last stretch to my house, the pain started to set in.  My joints were defiantly feeling it.  Tuesday morning it was all I could do to walk.  I was surprised that my knees were in as good as condition as they were.  It was my hips that were giving me all the trouble.  I was feeling pretty frustrated with how I felt after just half the distance I will need to do in less than a few months.  

Wednesday, I was back to what I would say is 80% of where I had been going into the run.  The quick recovery time was no doubt welcomed and somewhat inspiring.  That evening, I did what I could at the gym, lifting weights and avoiding the treadmill.

Tonight, with temperatures in the mid 60's, I was once again back on the trail.  Given the weather, I decided to do my 5 mile loop and not just 4 like I do on most weekdays.  To be honest, I'm pretty sore again....may have to make tomorrow another rest day.  There just doesn't seem to be enough days in the week for proper recovery.




No comments: